Computer software has transformed the world around us. No one would have ever imagined that within a few decades, web and mobile applications will turn into a significant part of our lives.
Softwares are generally of two different types:
- COTS (Commercial off-the-shelf software) -They are pre-designed software for a wide range of customers, different OS, office apps, browsers, mobile apps, etc. You can buy it from the vendor and can leverage the integrated features and functionalities.
- Custom Software – They are the software developed based on the customer’s needs. You will have tailor-made features as per your business requirements.
Here you can see the revenue of the software market globally from 2016 to 2027.
Custom Software Development – A Brief Intro
Custom software development services are the process of building, designing, deploying, and maintaining software solutions based on the specific requirements of users or organisations.
Custom software and its development are also referred to as bespoke software.
The development process of custom software is generally performed by in-house teams or outsourced to a third party. A custom project has gone through different phases like requirement gathering, code construction, testing, and deployment. It uses various methods throughout the project development life cycle like,
- Rapid App Development
Efforts associated with custom software development include,
- App Customisation: It refers to modifying COTS apps to address specific needs.
- App Modernisation: It maintains the business’s custom software’s viability to address emerging user and market needs.
- App Management: It makes the software highly effective by supporting various tasks such as,
- Performance optimisation
- Service desk operations
Why should you opt for Custom Software?
1. Business Process Automation
When a business does manual work, there are high chances of delayed operations, and so does the project delivery. It has adverse effects on the organisational workflow.
With custom software, you can leverage automated business processes that help with rapid workflow and on-time project delivery. Ultimately the cost decreases, and productivity increases.
2. Funds Saving
It isn’t true that COTs software is less expensive. In the future, you will end up with more costs. You also need to pay a licence fee every year/month for ready-made software. To address your business requirements, you need various add-ons and upgrades that boost the overall expenses.
With custom software, there is no need to pay additional fees for extra features and functionalities as it is built based on your custom requirements. Ultimately, you will save on your costs.
3. Increase Revenue
A business wants to increase the revenue to sustain and lead the market eventually. By opting for a custom software development company, you have access to a team of professional developers that help you transform your conceptual theory into real-life web/app solutions.
When your business has custom software, you will have simplified and improved processes that will increase the overall business revenue.
4. Address Business Demands
Each business has unique needs addressed by experts. The tailor-made software can effectively fulfil all the organisational demands and help cater to end-user requirements.
Your business can sustain itself in the evolving business environment as custom software delivers user-centric functions.
The Perks of Custom Software Development
- It boosts the efficiency of software and supports processes swiftly and productively.
- It increases scalability as businesses expand on a large scale and adapts to changes in an ever-evolving environment.
- It eliminates the expense of extra licences or subscriptions to packaged apps.
- It offers improved integration support with mitigated costs as it can be developed to incorporate with the intended environment.
- It ensures profitability as businesses can build their software according to particular operational conditions.
- It makes businesses independent by excluding price hikes for licensing.
- Businesses have the security and agility to build modern apps with advanced features and functionalities.
- Businesses can leverage maintenance and support facilitiesto sort out technical breakdowns and mitigate the security gaps (if any) within a limited timeframe.
- It provides greater adaptability to the dynamic market changes and business environment.
What is the average time to develop custom software?
Based on the project type, needs, and technology used to build it, every project needs a time from one to nine months.
Whereas, the majority of reviewed companies are compatible to deliver custom software within an average time of 4.5 months.
How much does it cost to build custom software?
The cost varies based on technology, integrated features, engaging resources, code quality, scope, and project duration.
Generally, the price ranged from $3000 – $120,000.
Focusing on the extensive factors affecting the price, the average custom software development costs around $36000 with basic features and average utility.
Steps of Custom Software Development
- Detailed study
- Specifications outlining
- Design drafting
- Software testing
- Software development
- Software usage training
- Software establishment in the real world
In a Nutshell
In the digital market, designing and developing bespoke software apps according to business demands is one of the best ways to transform things.
Each aspect of the business must be given the needed attention when you work on optimising your business processes and creating dedicated teams of professionals. That is why custom software development is an excellent option.